2020 CCBA Nomination Guidelines
- Nominated books must be currently in print and published in the five years preceding the award year.
- Only one title per author will be included in each year's ballot.
- Last year's WINNING authors are not eligible this year.
- Books previously nominated are not eligible for nomination in following years.
- A book title nominated by more that one school or library will be considered more heavily for inclusion in the final list.
- Books based on movies, television shows, toys, video games, or apps are not eligible for nominations unless the book preceded the production.
- The author of a nominated book must be a living author.
- Caldecott and Newbery Award books are not eligible. Honor books are eligible.
- Once a book in a series has won, all other books in that series by that author will not be eligible for nomination.
- Children may vote for one picture book and one junior book provided they have read a minimum of three books in each category.
- Submit the top 20 BOOK TITLES NOMINATED by children with the TOTAL nominations for each book to the CCBA Committee by March 1, 2019.
- PLEASE be sure to put the number of students who nominated the book.
The above powerpoint introduces the 20 nominated books and includes links to trailers and interviews with all YouTube videos linked with safeshare.tv links
Colorado Children's Book Award Site. Includes guidelines for voting and nominating books. This link is to CCBA's old site and will not be updated after March 1, 2015.
American Library Association link to book/media awards including Caldecott, Newbery, Geisel, and others.
Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy Bell Picture Book Award. Includes suggestions for nominations.
This first award, announced April 17, 2015, was given by The Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI) .Mathical: Books for Kids from Tots to Teens honoring the most inspiring math-related fiction and nonfiction books published in 2014.
Children's Book Council, sponsor of Children's Book Week, allow children to go online and vote.
National Council of Teacher's of English Award for Outstanding Nonfiction for Children
This award is for excellence in historical fiction. There is a great link to titles by historical period for help in lesson planning.
Given since 1995 by Texas State University to honor the most distinguished book depicting the Mexican American experience.
Irma Black Award and curriculum to teach picture book evaluation at the Bank Street College of Education. First and second grade students are encouraged to read and vote for their favorites.
The Cook Prize honors the best science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) picture book published for children aged eight to ten. Third and Fourth Grade students are encouraged to read and vote for their favorites.
Presented each year since 1953 to the book that most effectively promotes the cause of peace, social justice, and world community.
Source for information to participate in Blue Spruce Award
Children's and Young Adult Bloggers Literary Award.
Award to a book that did not win an award at its publication twenty years ago
Selected by book publishers. Includes one award for Young People's Literature
Given each year by the National Council of Teacher of Social Studies.
Presented by the International Reading Association to six new Authors of children's books. Primary, Intermediate, and Young Adult fiction and nonfiction.
Juvenile award announced in March by the Mystery Writers of America. This link is to the 2013 nominees. Also has easy to search database.
Given since 1967 to a picture book, fiction and poetry book, and non-fiction book
Given by the New York Public Library to a promising writer with 6 or fewer books published whose books reflect the tradition of Ezra Jack Keats.
Given since 1977 to a living American poet in recognition of his or her entire body of work for children ages three through thirteen.
Recognition of U.S. works in English or Spanish that authentically and engagingly portray Latin America, the Caribbean, or Latinos in the United States.